top of page
Energy Performance Certificates for commercial properties EPCs banner.png

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) for commercial properties 

When do you need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a commercial property?

​An EPC is needed for a commercial property when it's let or sold, built and completed. EPCs are also needed if there are particular changes to the occupation or energy use within the commercial property. The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) provides two energy ratings from A-G: current and potential. The EPC also contains information about energy efficiency improvements which will help achieve the potential energy rating of the building.


The EPC assessment needs to be carried out by a certified professional - like us! 


Get help with EPCs for your commercial property

What types of commercial properties need an EPC?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed for a range of commercial properties including:

  • Shops

  • Offices
  • Factories
  • Warehouses
  • Hotels
  • Public buildings

EPCs for commercial properties

There's a big drive to reduce carbon emissions. The business sector has been the focus of this on and off for years. An EPC not only provides an energy rating but also contains information on how to improve the energy efficiency of the commercial property in question. Commercial property owners can use this information to make changes that make their property to decrease energy bills and make the property more appealing to new owners or tenants.

For landlords, it's also important to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES). MESS was introduced as part of the UK government's ambitious target of achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. 

Bespoke compliance solution EPC energy performance certificates Oxon Bucks.png


​There are two common types of EPCs for commercial properties to be aware of. Non-domestic EPCs and Display Energy Certificates (DECs). Non-domestic EPCs are most commonly known about which are shared with future owners and tenants of a building. DECs are required and need to be displayed in public buildings with a floor area of over 250sq metres, is frequently visited by the public and is occupied in any way by a public authority.  

What does an EPC assessment look at?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is the result of an assessment by a qualifies assessor. The EPC assessor will look at things that impact the energy efficiency of your business property. Areas looked at before issuing an EPC include:


Property age


Property type


Wall, loft or floor insulation


Construction materials




Hot water systems


Heating systems



Got a question about Energy Compliance Certificates? Chat with one of our friendly energy experts.

Why choose Bespoke Compliance Solutions?
Our cutomers rate us 10/10
We have over 10 years experience in compliance
Quick turn around times - you get your certificate ASAP
We provide real-world practical advice
We are here to help you, not just churn out reports

Energy Performance (EPC) FAQs

Can I do my own energy performance certificate? 

No is the short answer. Energy performance certificates need to be provided by an accredited assessor after an inspection of the property. 


How long does it take to conduct the assessment before an EPC can be issued?

A energy assessment before creating an EPC for a commercial property take around an hour on average. This will depend on the size of your building. If you need to schedule the assessment around your business then let us know and we'll arrange the EPC assessment around you. 


How long is an EPC valid for?

An EPC is valid for 10 years but a DEC may only be valid for 1 year in some circumstances. If you make improvements to the energy efficiency of a property, then it's advised to update the EPC before selling or letting the property.  


What happens if my property fails an EPC inspection?

There is no such thing as a pass or fail when it comes to Energy Performance Certificates. A property is simply rated from A to G. If a property is rated as having poor energy efficiency then there is no failure, simply higher energy costs listed and suggested actions to improve energy efficiency and reduce overall carbon emissions.

What is the minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES) for a commercial property?

Official guidelines state: Since 1 April 2018, landlords of non-domestic rented properties have only been permitted to grant a new tenancy, or to extend or renew an existing tenancy, if their property has at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) E rating, unless they have registered a valid exemption. Read more about MEES for commercial properties on the Government website. 

Are there any exemptions with EPCs for commercial buildings?

There are a few exemptions to EPCs for commercial buildings. These include exemption windows for new landlords, short leases, negative impacts the suggested improvements would make to the building, considerations around listed statuses and more. Read Energy Performance Certificates for your business premises.

Do I need an EPC to sell a commercial property?

Yes. You need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a commercial property if you plan to sell it. You need to provide a valid EPC to any prospective buyers. An EPC is valid for 10 years but it's recommended to update an EPC of anything significant changes in the building that could effect the energy use or efficiency of the building. If you're not sure if you need to update your EPC then let us know and we can advise you.

Do I need an EPC to rent out a commercial property?

When you need to let a commercial property, then you must have a valid EPC and provide it to any prospective tenants. This helps tenants consider energy bills and energy efficiency when making a decision about where to base their business.  

Which areas do you cover?

We provide EPCs for commercial properties in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, London, Hampshire, Surrey, Bedfordshire and beyond. Find out where we're next in your area or book a specific appointment with us.

Book a free consultation

bottom of page